Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Cooperation and Competition

The weather has been very warm, and there has not been any rain in the past few days. Bow takes advantage of the opportunity to sunbathe.




Lately the glass door to the outer pen has been sticking, and I need Bow's help to open and close it. Yesterday, after basking in the sun for a good, long while, Bow let me know he wanted to come back inside.



I reminded him as he was coming in that he would need to help me close the glass door.




He went out into the corridor, but after I had locked the metal grid door, he came back and closed the glass door for me. I thanked him. Now that's cooperation!



This morning as I was letting the dogs out, I noticed a butterfly in the garage, It was just sitting there on the floor. I don't know how it got there.


I opened the garage door, but it did not fly out.



I coaxed it onto my hand and took it out. It was a pipevine swallowtail.


I put it down by the tulip tree, Later I came back, and it was not there any longer. I hope that means our cooperative effort, the swallowtail's and mine, was successful.  I hope that I helped it to survive.


The irises at Orchard House are still blooming, while those by the lagoon at my house have already faded. The landscaping at Orchard House is wonderful. It's as if the flowers are cooperating by taking turns being in the spotlight.


There are new flowers blooming there at every part of the season. I think someone should just buy Orchard House for the flowers alone. I am planning to sell it at auction by the end of the summer.



Nature is full of cooperation, and equally full of competition. It would not work without both, The free market is that way, too. You get what you pay for, but only when you and not someone else does the paying. There could not be life without death. All the bad stuff that happens when we make a mistake is what makes success possible. Negative feedback is important.


On my walk this afternoon I saw fresh signs of a kill. Feathers scattered everywhere.  Part of the flesh of the bird seemed to have been just left there, amid all the feathers. Was it the heart? It's probably not the heart. But suddenly I remembered that line from a Disney movie: "Bring me Snow White's heart!" Why the heart? I've always wondered. Wouldn't the head be easier to recognize?


Speaking of trouble with recognition, just around the bend in my path, after the remains of the bird, I thought I spotted a milkweed plant! But I had been wrong before, The last time I thought I had seen a milkweed plant that had not yet bloomed, it turned out to be dogbane. However, my friend Kathy confirmed it. This time it is milkweed!

That bodes well for the butterflies.

4 comments:

  1. I think Orchard House would be perfect for some writer type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aya, the colors of your flowers are looking so brilliant this year!
    And everyone needs a strong man every once in a while to help with a stuck door. You can use a bar of Ivory soap and coat the track where the door slides and that should help unstick it some.
    Looks like an owl or a racoon got a woodpecker on your property. Wild kingdom at your back door too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathy, the flowers are very bright colored this year. Those particular irises are from Orchard House, but the ones near my lagoon were also dazzling in color, while they bloomed. I agree, it helps to have a young man like Bow open and close doors for me. But I will try that trick with the Ivory Soap, too. And yes, nature operates all around us here, usually unseen, but sometimes leaving unmistakable evidence.

      Delete