Search This Blog

Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Innocence of Academics



People in the ivory tower are sheltered from the everyday concerns of those outside. They are willing to publish their findings without pay, because they are already secure in the funding for their day to day life. People outside the academy need to find ways to make what they do every day provide them with income.


Every day, I work at documenting life with Bow, and I also work at earning money for Project Bow. I post about Bow on this blog, and I also post videos on YouTube. This was yesterday's video:



Videos of grooming do much better than videos about academic papers, such as this one:


They also do much better than videos about the history of Project Bow, such as:


Today, I was contacted by someone from Cornell asking if they could film Bow and me and place the video on their site or on their YouTube Channel. Now, I am familiar with Cornell's channel. Bow and  I watched Anurag Agrawal on that channel. They currently have 98 subscribers! Why on earth should I give them my work product for free? They should be asking me for tips on how to improve their subscription rate.

I, too, need more subscribers for my channel. I will be happy to subscribe to their channel if they subscribe to mine. I will be happy for them to embed my videos on their site, so I can earn more money. I have already embedded one of their videos on my site.

There have been times when people have tried to shame me for wanting to be paid for what I do. But they get paid for what they do. YouTube videos have been paying for Bow's bananas. Until a better deal comes along, I am keeping that revenue to myself. In the meantime, if you have not yet subscribed to my channel, please do. It really does make a difference to Bow and me.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AyaKatz


2 comments:

  1. I am having some ideas as a way to highlight some academic research you do, but maybe hook some new viewers at the same time. I noticed this one channel gets hundred of views, and it does not even have a real person talking, just an automated computer machine. These are usually videos about the top five so and so people in history, and some sort of hook. I wonder if you could a video similar to that and maybe somehow feature John Laffite. How about the top ten pirates who were really privateers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea, Julia. I am thinking of turning many of my articles into videos, Using text to speech is one possibility for the narration.

      Delete