Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2022

Nature & Nurture: Beauty and Strength

 My mother often asks me: "Has Bow said anything clever lately?" She is used to the frequent anecdotes from an earlier era, when Bow had just had his breakthrough, and there were daily stories of something new and unexpected that he had said.




As Bow arrived in his late teens, stories like that became few and far between, and now that Bow is in his twenties, he has become quite laconic. But today was an exception.

At lunch, a Jordan Peterson conversation with Frans de Waal popped up on my feed. I guess YouTube knew I would be interested. They were discussing the nature/nurture contribution to gender differences as well as what it takes to socialize males to show deference to females.




Bow, sated from his main course, made occasional grumbling agreement sounds to concur with what Peterson and de Waal were saying. From his own experience, he knew girls are less into rough and tumble play than boys are. After all, he'd had to go easy on his older sister, Sword, to get her to play with him at all. 


The discussion between Peterson and de Waal, which centered on the statistical backdrop to gender stereotypes, reminded me of the playful interactions between Sword and Bow depicted in the video clip embedded above. Bow, too, enjoyed the nostalgic view of days gone by. He watched the clip twice. Then he took my hand and spelled: 

"חרב יפה. זה טוב. רק קשת חזק."

"Sword is beautiful. That is good. Only Bow is strong."

So now I have another anecdote to share with my mother when we talk on the phone tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting discussion. I think gender difference are healthy and a good thing. If some people want to be more gender neutral that is fine, but I do not think they she dictates everyone has to do this.

    ReplyDelete