Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bow Reads the Paper

Sometimes we try to impress our kids. We want them to be proud of us, but any attempt to show off usually backfires. They are not impressed with your job, your achievements, and you can forget about blowing them away by having your picture in the paper. They value you only for what you do as a parent.

Bow is no exception to this general rule. Today, an article about Inverted-A Press by Durga Walker appeared on the front page of the Licking News. The article was very good, and a picture of me appeared just above the fold. I thought Bow would like to see it, but no sooner had I handed him the paper than he flipped to another page. It happened so fast, that I didn't get a single shot of him actually looking at the front page.

He seemed to find all the other articles that were not about Inverted-A Press to be much more interesting. Even the classifieds drew his attention.

To keep things in perspective, though, I have to say that he hardly spent any time at all on the picture of someone else he knows and likes who was in the paper, too, in a political ad. Bow likes real life interactions with people. He does not want to read about friends and family in the paper. And his opinion of our worth is not at all swayed by seeing a picture of us in the paper.

However, he does enjoy having a paper to read!



8 comments:

  1. That's so adorable! I love Bow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! I love how you talked about kids not caring about their parents' accomplishments, and Bow was the perfect illustration. I'm delighted to hear the news about the article and looking forward to reading it when it goes online...I promise I won't "turn the page" until I'm done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherri. Yeah, it's true that thing about kids! Bow is not the only one...

      I did add the link to the newspaper article as soon as it became available. It's right up there near the top of the post, second paragraph: "an article about Inverted-A Press".

      Delete
  3. I have not bought a paper since 2001 or so, so it is cool to see him looking through the paper. I sometimes look through the local paper when I visit my family up in the mountains, but that is very rare actually. I have forgotten how tactile and interactive the paper can be. However, I think I still like being able to comment over news articles over the not being able to comment on the paper paper. What I liked about the video is seeing your photo looked like it was on the front page. It is pretty nice you are in the paper, and like I said earlier the only time I was ever in the paper was for awards we got in school, and they often spelled my name wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I have never been a big reader of newspapers. I always found the layout frustrating. But yes, there is something to the feel of a real paper!

      In the old days, I would occasionally write a letter to the editor, but it was not like commenting today, which is instantaneous and often unsupervised.

      Yeah, my photo was on first page, in color and just above the fold. Can't do better than that! But Bow turned the page so fast! He was so not impressed.

      Delete
  4. This is so funny. And so true. The view of what children find important is so different from what most grown ups think is special. Maybe because natural interaction is more concrete? I love how he leafs through the paper; that video was quite a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paperbowls. He certainly does know how to turn those pages carefully.

      Delete