Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Brownie Kills a Snake

Today, a little before lunch, we heard the dogs barking in the back yard. I asked Bow if it would be all right for me to go see what was happening, and he agreed. By the time I got out there, Brownie had caught the snake and was holding it in his mouth, shaking it, dropping it, and then picking it up again and repeating the process. When I first arrived on the scene the snake was alive, but injured. By the time Brownie allowed me to take it from him, it was dead.

Bow had watched all this through the windows of the inner pen. If you listen carefully, you can even hear him vocalize.

Once the snake was dead, I took a photo of it, took it in to show to Bow, and then disposed of it by throwing it out in the field close to our house.


Then I went back in the pen with Bow and showed him the footage I had shot. After seeing the snake killed again in the video, Bow went into a short display. When I reminded him the snake was already dead, he calmed down at once.


I realized afterward that the picture I had shot of the dead snake was not very clear, so after lunch I retrieved it momentarily from the field to try to get better pictures. There were already ants all over it by then. I used a towel as a background for the shot, because it made the markings stand out better.


What kind of snake do you think this is? Here is an article about snakes at the Missouri Department of Conservation site:

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/common-plants-and-animals/amphibians-and-reptiles/snakes

2 comments:

  1. My first guess is a ratsnake. It has markings as such. I'm not that familiar with the snakes of Missouri, but it's definitely not a hognose, rattler, copperhead, or many of the others one could find in Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rich. The consensus seems to be that it's a prairie kingsnake: non-poisonous.

      http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/prairie-kingsnake

      If you want to see a black rat snake I caught, then read this post:

      http://notesfromthepens.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-snake-i-caught.html

      Delete