Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Whole Bush Full of Something Else

It rains every day. We are now past the middle of June. It rains in the morning. Then it clears up, and then at some un-predetermined time in the afternoon, it rains again. And then it stops. and the sun comes out again.  But everything is green, and everything is growing, and yesterday I noticed a rose bush where there had never been a rose bush before.


Examining the flowers on the bush, I realized that they looked quite a lot like Something Else.


The flowers were large and colorful, and had five petals.


Compared to the size of my hand, they were definitely more like the late-blooming something else flowers than the wild roses that grew on bushes and had long since faded.


The leaves on this bush are also bigger than on the wild rosebush that is at the entrance to my house.


Now when these flowers first showed up in my pasture, I tried to see if they were Missouri primroses, as I had been told, but they had the wrong number of petals and did not fir that description at all. So later I considered that they might be Prairie Roses, but all the Prairie Roses online seemed to have smaller flowers on bigger bushes. while my Something Else plant had bigger flowers on tiny stalks close to the ground.


But how does a bush get to be a bush? Does it spring up from the ground fully formed in just one day? Could a rosebush look like just one flower on a stalk when it first appears? What are the stages of rosebush growth?



I first assumed that if it flowered, the plant must be mature. But what if there are levels of maturity far beyond reproductive capacity? What if many of us never see this, because we are constantly trimming our plants down to a manageable size?

No comments:

Post a Comment