Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

Good to Be Home

Sword and I were away for four days, and we returned home last night around 10:00 pm. Bow, who was supposed to be asleep, was watching me from the pens as I unlocked the front door.

Sword went straight for her room, to check on her parrot, Summer. The chickens were already locked away for the night, and the dogs were in the laundry room, where they've been sleeping. Everyone was in tip top  condition, thanks to Lawrence who stayed here close to thirteen hours a day in my absence.

After Bow has gone to bed for the night, I don't usually like to disturb him, but since he was wide awake, I went in and sang him "the Pomegranate Tree." He was very mellow. There was no teary reunion. He had been in good hands in my absence, he was happy to see me, but not at all surprised. I had phoned and talked to him every day during my absence, and he was apprised of my itinerary.

This morning, I asked him: "Did you know I was coming back?"

"Yes," he spelled.

"Was everything okay when I was gone?"

"All okay," he spelled.

Later, at breakfast, he complained: "The guy didn't give me enough grapes." (This is not a complaint I take seriously.)

"What did he give you, instead?"

"Just stuff."

"Did he let you have some of his cereal?"

"Yes."

And then he added: "Every mommy is good." That was as close to a welcome back that I got.

"Thank you, Bow," I said.

It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment