Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2016

A Fire Close to Home

There was a fire on my land today, but we are all safe and no one was hurt.

The fire originated in the neighboring field
The grass and leaves burned behind my house and into the woods
My daughter and I went on an out of town shopping trip for the day. Lawrence stayed with Bow. Before dinner, Bow and Lawrence spotted smoke blowing outside, from the direction of the neighbor field. Lawrence went out and saw that the fire was spreading to my land and burning the grass behind the house and into the woods and almost up the to the barn.

Bow gave Lawrence permission to go outside and see what he could do to stop the fire.

Lawrence used two of Bow's towels to beat down the fire. Meanwhile, Bow ate an apple in the safety of the inner pen. Lawrence did not have time to call the fire department, but the neighbors must have called them, as they arrived on the scene and also worked to put out the fire.



Lawrence and the local volunteer fire department successfully  battled the fire. By the time I got home, this is what I saw.




Luckily, the majority of the fire was put out, and nothing but grass, leaves and some wood piles burned, while all the structures were spared and no one was hurt.



We don't know how the fire started, but it did not originate on my land.


In the clip below you can see the wind blowing the smoke from the direction of the neighbor field toward my land, while the fire fighters put out the last of the dead wood fires in the woods.


We were lucky to have such a responsive local volunteer fire department.


However, this was a close call. I hope it does not ever happen again.



5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - WOW, you are so lucky it didn't reach your house, Aya! Definitely looks like your neighbor had a fire that got out of hand. Surely, they weren't trying to do a controlled burn in such windy conditions. On a positive note, you are going to see an interesting bunch of new plants in the understory where all the leaves were burned off in your woods. :-) So glad you, Sword, Bow and Lawrence are safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. Yes, we were very lucky! Nobody seems to know how it started. Since no one was hurt, I doubt that they will conduct an investigation.

      I look forward to seeing the new plants that will spring up in the woods as a result of this. So glad no living trees were lost!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this thank you for this little escape

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your house was safe. And yes, new plant life will emerge after the fires, as that is part of the life cycle of the forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. I'm glad, too.

      It will be interesting to see what sprouts from the forest floor come spring.

      Delete