Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Reading About Black Bears

I am surrounded by teenagers with attitudes. My daughter just turned seventeen. Bow is fourteen and will be fifteen in February. They are too old for this and too mature for that, and this movie is just for little kids and that book is juvenile, and I am beginning to feel a little left out of all this maturity -- because the kid stuff still appeals to me. I never outgrew it.


Bow' friend who brings him bananas and pickle ice gave us a recent issue of the Missouri conservationist that featured black bears. Bow did not appear interested at first, but then I started reading it out loud to him, He came and sat down beside me and took the magazine away from me to look at it himself.


He leafed through the article. I noticed that when he got to the end of the article about the bears, he leafed back, so he did seem to want to remain on the topic of black bears.



However, when I wanted to talk about the bear cub picture,  and how the cub was just a baby, and how Bow used to be a baby, too,  Bow grew impatient with me. He retreated away from the magazine, and sat there distancing himself, his hand supporting his chin, no longer engaged.



Note to self: never remind a teenager that he used to be a baby. That's something we must never talk about. But it seems like only yesterday...

RELATED STORIES


http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/07/trump_s_wall_would_hurt_wildlife_and_halt_science_at_the_border.html


2 comments:

  1. I have been feeling that way for several years since my niece and nephews became teens. My nephew is a bit more easy going in nature and will talk to me, but my niece has an attitude quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe it will get easier when they enter their twenties. We can hope!

      Delete