Search This Blog

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Celebrating Valentine's Day


Yesterday was Valentine's Day, and we celebrated accordingly. Some people think that this holiday is only for romantic couples, but we have always celebrated it at my house, in whichever way that suited us. Even though she is away in college, and currently has a boyfriend, my daughter did not forget me on Valentine's Day.


Likewise, I did not forget to celebrate with Bow.


In my house, our favorite flavor of ice cream is coffee. I prepared a treat for two consisting of coffee ice cream, topped with whipped cream and a Dove chocolate piece shaped like a heart.

I went in with both treats, and I told Bow that one of them was for me.


Bow took his treat and ate the chocolate heart on top, and then, seeing that I had left mine on the floor as I went to lock the door, he helped himself to my share, too. I scolded him and took his ice cream for myself, but by then Bow had already managed to eat both chocolate hearts.

Bow is gentle and well mannered, but he is not good at understanding the difference between "mine" and "yours". We often see this as a problem with "sharing" if a human toddler behaves in that way, but the issue is not sharing at all. It is about realizing that once something is given to another person, it's not yours to take. It's a lesson in property rights, not asset allocation.

Once he was finished with his ice cream, Bow handed me back the empty glass goblet.


Later in the afternoon, I had another surprise for Bow: a Valentine's Day Balloon.



3 comments:

  1. I think Valentine's Day can be about family and friends. I like the cat stuffed animal Sword gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Valentine's Day can be about family and friends. I like the cat stuffed animal Sword gave you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Valentine's Day has definitely become a time for celebrating family and friendship, as well as other kinds of love. Sword takes this holiday pretty seriously. I have been celebrating it with her since she was little. I love the stuffed cat she gave me!

      Delete